Страница 10 из 10 ПерваяПервая 12345678910
Показано с 181 по 191 из 191

Тема: О встречах Далай Ламы XIV с учеными

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Что можно сказать о соотношении гнева и творчества?

MLRN Discussion List
    This is an interesting concept. I have heard His Holiness discuss this several times. He has differentiated between anger and hate. Hate can have no positive outcome. In some instances anger can. In Tibetan Buddhism there are wrathful deities like Yamantaka ( who is the wrathful aspect of the diety of wisdom - Manjushrishri who do act in a “wrathful manner” for the greater good. An example of this might be like angrily (apparently) disciplining of a child who refuses to behave when asked politely not to do something. (Or Christ throwing the money lenders out of the temple.) This anger is not a reactive anger, but an active anger that had been thought about and planned carefully to have a given effect.

Dieties in Hinduism and Tibetan Buddhism are archetypical characters each symbolic of certain qualities. Some have been given a bad rap by Westerners who have a limited understanding. Another example in the Hindu goddess Kali. The wrathful diety’s goal is to rid us of selfishness (egotistic actions).

There are many actions where moral indignation has been a motivating factor to very positive actions. Gandhi, the woman who started mothers against drunk drivers, etc

Jan B. Newman,MA,MD,FACS,ABHM
    3436 Mountain Dr
    Clinton, MT 59825
    1-406-258-6284

MLRN Discussion List
    Hi K

As others have mentioned already, a look into Bi-polar disorder will be good.
    The following is a great link to a be-zillion further references into
    bi-polar - and you will find loads of "creativity" references:
    http://www.abc.net.au/quantum/scripts98/9824/manic.htm

The ABC Quantum is Australia's government broadcaster of science stuff. You will note the mention of Kay Redfield Jamison, a US psychiatrist with manic depressive illness, who has written a book about manic depression and creativity called Touched with Fire (Free Press/MacMillan) …
    Enjoy this and hope it is useful.

Good luck on your research - it is very valuable "mind and life" work indeed!

Caterina De Re
    RPI, NY

MLRN Discussion List
    In Healing Anger- The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective the Dalai Lama writes :

"Generally speaking there are many afflictive emotions such as conceit, arrogance, jealousy, desire, lust, closed-mindedness, and so on, but of all these , hatred or anger is singled out as the greatest evil. This is done for two reasons.

One is that hatred or anger is the greatest stumbling block for a practioner who is aspiring to enhance his or her bodhicitta-- altruistic aspiration and a good heart. Anger or hatred is the greatest obstacle to that.

Second, when hatred and anger are generated they have the capacity to destroy one's virtue and calmness of mind. It is due to these reasons that hatred is considered the greatest evil.

Hatred is one of the six root afflictions according to Buddhist psychology. The Tibetan word for it is "zhe dang" (Tib.zhe sdang), which can be translated as either "anger" or "hatred" in English. However, I feel that it should be translated as "hatred" because "anger" as it is understood in English, can be positive in very special circumstances. These occur when anger is motivated by compassion or when it acts as an impetus or a catalyst for a positive action. In such rare circumstances anger can be positive whereas hatred can never be positive. It is totally negative.

Since hatred is totally negative, it should never be used to translate the Tibetan word "zhe dang" when it appears in the context of tantra. Sometimes we hear the expression "taking hatred into the path". This is a mistranslation. In this context hatred is not the right word; one should use "anger",:" taking anger into the path. So the Tibetan word can be translated as either "anger" or "hatred", but "anger" can be positive, therefore, when "zhe dang" refers to the afflictive emotion it must be translated as "hatred". (pg 7)

In Sanskrit the word for anger is krodha which translates as anger, wrath, passion. Anger is personified as the child of Lobha and Nikriti. Lobha is perplexity or confusion: eager desire for or longing after; covetousness, cupidity or avarice.

Nikriti is low conduct, baseness, dishonesty, fraud, wickedness.(The word also means to cut apart, to undercut, to destroy.) She is the daughter of a-dharma. Alternatively Nikriti is the sister of Lobha and daughter of Dambha, who is deceit, fraud, feigning, hypocrisy.

Thus one could say that anger dependently arises from the preexistent conditions of confusion and desire coupled with dishonesty. In this context anger is delusional and by definition can never be dharmic. This differentiation has to be made in the definition of "anger".

I think that this may be one of the problems with the English word "anger". Perhaps there should be a differentiation between "anger" which is malevolent and delusional and "righteous indignation" which may give rise to positive social and personal change.

This leads back to the comments on manic-depression. In my limited experience with patients with manic depression, I have found that they may be highly talented people, but I have yet to find one who is honest. I have found most of them to be highly manipulative with the goal to achieving something for themselves. I have found them to be deeply conflicted. Their conflicts and therefore their dis-ease is born out of their (self) dishonesty and selfishness or atleast confusion. Their "creativity" may arise from their attempts to resolve their inner conflicts.

Patience is the antidote to anger. I like to go back to the Sanskrit terms because Sanskrit is one of the original languages of Buddhism. I find that it often displays a fuller meaning and color to the words than English does.

The words for patience in Sanskrit are ksham and sahan. Ksham means to be patient or composed, suppress anger, be quiet, to endure, allow permit, to suffer, but ksham also means earth implying to "be grounded" as in "not flying off". Sahan means to be united with oneself.

From this origin patience implies much more than "just waiting". It is an active, sometimes painful, stepping back to get clarity- truth -and to insure that one's actions are dharmic, e.g from altruistic intent, and come from a place of "Self-wholeness", rather than from a place of inadequacy, desire or need e.g ego, before responding.

I am doing a workshop on dealing with difficult people and emotions in about a month. Anger is one of the emotions I have been exploring for this talk.

It seems I have been fortunate enough to be dealing with a lot of selfish angry people lately. I haven't found patience to be an easy practice. My own anger certainly hasn't led me to be more creative. It has, however, disrupted my sleep and made me unpleasant company. Sapolsky, in his talk in D.C, spoke about monkeys who were attacked by monkeys. He noted that their usual solution was to find another monkey to take their frustrations out on. That too didn't appear to be highly creative.

Jan B. Newman.

Участник Аватар для Konstantin Ai.
    Традиция
    Ваджраяна
    А для менее просветлённых перевод прилогается!!!

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Константин, простите, с (полным) переводом я это не буду делать. Просто вывешиваю тексты, которые мне больше всего нравятся и иногда пишу к ним пару-тройку слов-предложений по-русски - и все. И мне интересно, и, глядишь, еще кто прочитает.

Участник Аватар для Konstantin Ai.
    Традиция
    Ваджраяна
    Хорошо, это белое полотно в моём разуме, не знание анг. яз, а точнее плохо. Ну, ладно, переживём.
    Есть интересная, призабавная ссылка

http://www.satanism.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200717

Есть информация на эту тему, собственно в поиски её, я на это чудо и наткнулся!

Участник Аватар для Steppenwolf
    Традиция
    Тхеравада
    Юрий, есть англоязычный буддийский форум http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/ , на котором Вам возможно легче будет найти единомышленников и заинтересованных людей. Я могу читать по английски и мне интересны Ваши постинги, но они слишком большого объема и часто разрозненные в контексте одной темы форума, поэтому их не получается читать внимательно. Может быть проще создать вебсайт?

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Спасибо за совет, я подумаю, но Вы, наверное, заметили, что я пишу на БФ не только по английски и не только в этой теме. Сообщения же в ней в основном из англоязычного буддийского форума - Mind and LIfe Research Network, который существет при Mind and Life Institute. Последний же организует конференции, на которых ЕСДЛ встречается с учеными. Меня просто интересует тема "Буддизм и наука" на самом высоком профессиональном уровне, это как раз и есть этот институт и то, что около него происходит. Эти сообщения на БФ я вывешиваю отчасти по инерции, до конца еще не исчерпался тот изначальный импульс, который меня привел сюда (см. сообщение 1 в этой теме).

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Вот здесь, кстати, критический взгляд на Mind and Life XI, так сказать, взгляд со стороны

Andrew C. Thomas
    Mind and Life: Where Was the Debate?
    “The Tech”, September 16, 2003. Volume 123, Number 40
    http://www-tech.mit.edu/V123/N40/acthomas40.40c.html

Brian Loux
    Dalai Lama Attends Debate on Human Mind
    “The Tech”, September 16, 2003. Volume 123, Number 40
    http://www-tech.mit.edu/V123/N40/40dalailama.40n.html

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Автобиография американского буддиста
    (одного из самых активных участников MLRN)

MLRN Discussion List

I have been contacted by some group members who have requested an overview and comparison of meditation practices and traditions. While I certainly do not consider myself an expert, I have had a broad range of experience and study of multiple religion traditions and practices. In that this group has many people who have expertise in given areas, there may be many of you who have far great knowledge and experience in given areas than I.

What I would like to do overtime is to provide a broad overview to facilitate greater understanding. I welcome any input from group members whose experience and expertise is greater or different than mine. One of the shortfalls that I have seen is that the scientists who are studying the meditators don’t
    know about meditation and the meditators don’t know about the science. With my background as it is, it would be my aspiration to build bridges of understanding between researchers and the research.

To give you a brief bio, I grew up in an Irish Catholic town, Butte, MT to nonpracticing Jewish parents. I used to go to mass, spend holidays and give things up for lent with my Catholic friends. I then went to an Episcopalian High school in Pennsylvania where every Sunday we had services. I was a member of the Altar Guild which in actually was the student disciplinary arm whose job it was to keep a couple hundred unruly adolescent girls from disrupting the sermons. By my senior year a group of us were elevated to an over looking cubicle ostensibly to watch and point the ground crew to miscreants to be disciplined. In reality the preacher was boring and totally uninspiring and three of us played dummy bridge the whole time, occasionally shifting our attention to the restless minions long enough to make it look as if we were doing our job.

After my stormy adolescence, I began college in Westchester Country. After multiple intense personal traumas, I turned to my Jewish roots as a last grasp toward maintaining sanity. I was taken in by a congregation in Scarsdale,N.Y. and was adopted, as it were, by deeply caring amazing members of this congregation. During my remaining years of college and medical school, I devoutly practiced and studied Reform Judaism and at on time could actually read some Hebrew.

I have to confess that I was “a child of my generation” as the saying goes, and dabbled in some of the psychopharmacology available at the time. After I completed medical school, medicine and surgery were my exclusive religion until my surgical career ended due to an injury. During this time I entered the “spiritual but not religious” phase of my life. While in Medical School I was introduced to meditation through Silva Mind Control. It definitely facilitated passing exams, was very helpful to improve my performance after sleepless nights, but did not have any avenue to explore deeper levels of meditation. As I advanced to deeper levels of meditation, I had no guidance, found it frightening and practiced only irregularly.

During my residency I was introduced to biofeedback. I got quite fascile at regulating my body temperature and respiratory system. This ability was remarkably facilitated by learning scuba diving. This was very helpful in maintaining my concentration, focus and relaxation especially during the
    performance of long complex highly demanding surgical procedures with highly abusive male attendings screaming at me. However, I have to confess that there was one attending whose role in life was to get me frazzled and angry which stifled my performance considerably. Interestingly enough he was a Bible banging religious fundamentalist who often lied about his surgical complications. I found
    Inderal to be essential and indispensable in dealing with him.

I began exploring Hatha yoga during my surgical practice as exercise. It was my introduction to the greater field of meditation, yoga and Buddhism. I was introduced to intensive meditation through an offshoot of Siddha Yoga and for five years studied Hatha yoga, Siddha Yoga, the ancient teachings of the Hindu tradition, Sanskrit, and was introduced to Tibetan Buddhism by Lama Zopa Rinpoche As a physician I immediately saw the therapeutic implications of these practices. In the last seven years, I have deepen and broaden my practice continuing to explore both Buddhism and Hinduism. I have explored multiple traditions looking to see where they were the same, where they differed, what were the good things about each tradition, what were the bad, what were the benefits, what were the complications and risks . Remember there is no free lunch.

Since 2001 I have spent a total of six months in India exploring both Indian and Tibetan teachings and cultures. At this point my primary teacher is His Holiness and I have attended many, many of his teachings in the US and in India and have read most of his books. I participate irregularly in events of Nyingma Sangha, and Gelupa Sangha, a Zen sangha in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh, and a Vipassana in the Theravadan Buddhist tradition. My primary affiliation remains with the Gelupa School of Tibetan Buddhism and I continue study with His Holiness. It is interesting that he has encouraged nonsectarian study in Buddhism and when one goes to Dharamsala, there are almost always groups of Zen monk and nuns and students from all traditions of Tibetan Buddhism as well as interested others. Many Westerners now speak and read Tibetan and have a great depth of knowledge of this tradition. I personally know of no Westerner who has attained the highest of Boddhisattva levels or Buddhahood, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. I have met Indians who I am convinced do have that level of attainment and some Tibetan masters who I believe have also great attainment.

One of the things I have been exploring is how to translate the essence of these teachings ( which are universal) into forms that are understandable to and utilizable by Westerners without diluting the practices and teachings. I believe that some if not most of that can be accomplished through the arts which is why I have recently completed my M.A. in Fine Arts in Integrated Arts and Education. I have also been quite interested in Gardner’s Multiple Intelligence theory and how learning occurs in these different traditions and cultures. As a last step in my own integrative studies, I have engaged in an in depth study of bio and eurofeedback to understand how it is related to various meditation techniques and the place that it has in therapy of stress and brain dysfunction. This is a rapidly emerging field that is in dire need of more carefully controlled studies.

Jan B. Newman,MA,MD,FACS,ABHM
    3436 Mountain Dr
    Clinton, MT 59825
    1-406-258-6284
    jnewman@whitehorseheaven.com

Участник
    Традиция
    нет

Mind & Reality: A Multidisciplinary Symposium on Consciousness

Mind & Reality: A Multidisciplinary Symposium on Consciousness
    February 25-26th, 2006
    Low Memorial Library, Columbia University
    www.mindandreality.org

This coming February 25th-26th the Center for the Study of Science and Religion at Columbia University will host Mind & Reality: A Multidisciplinary Symposium on Consciousness. Supported by the John E. Fetzer Institute, this event is dedicated to enriching the dialogue between Buddhism, Hinduism, and contemporary consciousness studies. The оverarching goal of this symposium is to cultivate communication between culturally diverse lines of thought and foster relationships between like-minded individuals within the Academy.

Admission to this event is free, but seating is limited. Email info@mindandreality.org to join our mailing list and receive important symposium information.

Keynote Speakers:
    Owen Flanagan & B. Alan Wallace

Participants:
    Ned Block • Susan Carey • Georges B. J. Dreyfus • Paul Gailey • Jay Garfield • Piet Hut • Roger Jackson • Thubten Jinpa • Anne Klein • Joseph LeDoux • Joseph Loizzo • Stephen H. Phillips • Robert Pollack • W. Teed Rockwell • Mark Siderits • Gareth Sparham • Evan Thompson • Robert A. F. Thurman • Gary Tubb • Robert Van Gulick • William Waldron • Edith Wyschogrod •

* Please visit our event website (www.mindandreality.org) & weblog (www.blog.mindandreality.org) for further information & news.

Christopher Kelley

Project Director, Mind & Reality Symposium,
    Center for the Study of Science & Religion
    PhD Candidate in Indo-Tibetan Buddism.

Участник
    Традиция
    нет

Participate in a research study

Источник информации: Mind and Life Research Network

Participate in a research study that examines the nature of long-term mindfulness in Theravada Buddhism (commonly referred to as Vipassana) and
    MBSR (Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction).

If you are
    · a teacher of mindfulness in either of these forms with at least 10 years of experience practicing as well as at least 5 years of experience teaching

or

· a practitioner in either of these forms with at least 5 years of experience practicing, please consider participating in this interesting research.

Potential benefits from participating in this study are

· furthering the science of mindfulness research,

· increasing your awareness regarding your relationship to mindfulness,

· experiencing joy by sharing your experiences with others,

· knowing that others may benefit from your participation in the study.

Feel free to contact me at (650) 278-3283, mindfulpsych@care2.com, or mindfulpsych@yahoo.com, if you are interested in participating or would like to learn more about the study.

Thank you!

Mr. Kelly Yi, MACP
    PhD Candidate
    Institute of Transpersonal Psychology

Участник
    Традиция
    нет

Рождение созерцательной науки

Huffington Post.com features an article about a silent meditation retreat recently held in Barre, Massachusetts. The retreat, sponsored by the Insight
    Meditation Society and the Mind and Life Institute, was specifically designed for the scientific community: physicists, neuroscientists, psychologists, and clinicians. Sam Harris wrote the article, "A
    Contemplative Science," to chronicle his experience as a participant at the retreat.

Harris undoubtedly found himself in the best of both his worlds during the retreat -- he is not only a Stanford University philosophy graduate who has
    studied both Eastern and Western religion for twenty years, but he is now completing a doctorate in neuroscience.

Harris is currently using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to study the neural basis of belief, disbelief, and uncertainty. In the article, he mentions Richard Davidson and his colleagues at the University of Wisconsin and their use of fMRI to measure effects of meditation on the brain. Davidson is a Mind and Life Institute board member.

Harris is not a newcomer to MLI; he participated in the 2004 and 2005 Mind and Life Summer Research Institutes (MLSRI). He is also the author of the
    international bestseller, The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason.

Melding philosophy and neuroscience in his article, Harris poses the premise that the retreat "could mark the beginning of a discourse on ethics and spiritual experience that is as unconstrained by dogma and cultural prejudice as the discourses of physics, biology, and chemistry." Since more retreats for scientists are planned, Harris further says, "we could be witnessing the birth of a contemplative science."

To read the full article on the Mind and Life website go to
    http://www.mindandlife.org/current.news.html

HuffingtonPost.com is an Internet publishing venture that combines breaking news, media commentary, and an innovative group blog. It was started in May
    2005 by nationally syndicated columnist and California gubernatorial candidate, Arianna Huffington.

Информация о теме

Участники, просматривающие эту тему

Эту тему просматривают: 1 (участников: 0 , гостей: 1)

Ваши права