Страница 9 из 13 ПерваяПервая 12345678910111213 ПоследняяПоследняя
Показано с 121 по 135 из 191

Тема: О встречах Далай Ламы XIV с учеными

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Фрагмент интервью «Investigating the Space of the Invisible» с профессором Arthur Zajonc, членом директорского и научного советов Mind and Life institute, участником и научным координатором многих встреч Далай Ламы с учеными, которое взял у него 15 октября 2003 г. Otto Scharmer.

Полный текст интервью:
    http://www.dialogonleadership.org/Zajonc.html#one

XXI. A Scientist - Dalai Lama Dialogue at MIT

COS: I did want to bring up one final example that has been quite an experience for me-the event you put on with the Dalai Lama and all the others of your circle. It was quite amazing. There were maybe 1,100 in the audience?

Arthur Zajonc: Yeah, 1,100.

COS: We sat there for a couple of hours, and something took place. When I returned on that first evening, all of a sudden I realized that my whole sense of self and my own personal field were really impacted. It was almost as if I had meditated for a week or so in nature. You are really operating from an enhanced and much more open field around you, a sort of clearing, ofLichtung. That's when I first realized the impact, apart from all the intellectual stimulus, which was of course more tangible.

And you have been right at the center of this Dalai Lama circle. Could you comment on what that experience was like for you?

Arthur Zajonc: Well, first of all, your experience wasn't unique at all. I was struck by how many people like you came up afterward, people of accomplishment with experience in conferences and meetings. I could see they experienced the field that you are talking about, and it had nothing to do specifically with the content, although the content was quite interesting and they found it stimulating. There was something about the geometry of relationships, the way the whole gathering was held, the nature of the dialogue and exchange, which created an aura into which they moved. It wasn't just us on stage in the aura. The whole assembly moved into it. It was sustained for the full two days. The next week, I met with three or four people from the Amherst area and later with a larger group, and it was still echoing in those who attended. It took a couple of weeks for it to actually settle out. But, the aura is residual. For a couple of weeks, this was just simply a part of people's field.

That was an unusual phenomenon. I have been to other gatherings that had a similar effect. One was a three day vigil and memorial for a young person's death. For days afterwards, where the vigil and other events took place, the experience was like a waterscape, because the space was all alive and you felt it in the landscape itself.

So there are crossings and mergings that take place. Thresholds are crossed in those situations and this should I think be noticed, be honored. You could ask why it happens. What caused it? It would be very un-Goethean to look for the mechanical cause, to ask what the essential conditions of appearance were.

COS: And what did happen?

Arthur Zajonc: It's a very difficult thing to pin down. I've worked now with the Dalai Lama on several occasions and moderated or led conversations at four of them, if you count the MIT event. My general experience has been that in working with him, with the Buddhist scholars, and a good group of scientists, something of this nature happens to some degree.

Part of the formula is that, first of all, the Dalai Lama has his own presence. It's unusual in a certain way, because he's a very normal kind of guy. He doesn't come across immediately as having a larger field than a normal person.

COS: True.

Arthur Zajonc: But his field is a kind of indirection. It's not projection. It's actually an indirection, a kind of self-negation. Just being who he is, being very understated and very modern in that sense. His presence works much more from the periphery. The participants, if they're chosen reasonably well -and they are not necessarily Buddhists (in fact, most of the scientists who show up have no Buddhist connections) - bring the part of them that is their largest and most humane dimension with them. They don't factor it out and leave it at the door as often happens in the academy. They bring it into the conversation with him. They bring heartfelt questions and problems, even if they're framed in very small, scientific terminologies. Something of that deeper set of commitments and longings are there with them. It's a bit like when I was 19 or 20 and going through my existential crisis. I refused to factor out the cultural and existential questions. I wanted to bring them with me into my life of science. I believe they all want to do that, but they haven't been able to

Now they're with him, they have traveled to India perhaps, because they want to bring their commitments and longings as well as their science to him and so they bring it to the whole gathering. So his modest presence does provide a singular opportunity for people to bring all of who they are into the space.

Second, they discover that when the Buddhists speak, they speak with such brilliance and such intelligence that their hopes aren't dashed. A lot of times in similar settings, you bring your hopes and you get religious dogma. You want to come as a scientist with all your intelligence and all your inarticulate longings and be met on the other side. You long to be met by intelligence concerning the existential questions that you really aren't able to deal with too well. But what you get are pieties. Simple statements about what you should do and shouldn't do with your life. Then you think, "Oh, who needs this? Let's get back to where I was. At least I was doing an honest day's work as a scientist. I'm not going to go and jump off a cliff or buy into something. Let the others do that."

But you discover with the Buddhist scholars and the Dalai Lama that you don't get pieties. The response you get is the fruit of thousands of years, literally 2,000 years, of contemplative practice and intellectual effort, with lots of sophistication. All the big issues are present in their treatment of mind or ethics, together with a nuanced discussion of consciousness. So a kind of joy starts to creep in that sometimes becomes almost intoxicating in the small group discussions. You'll start to experience the way the Buddhists are handling the question, the way the Dalai Lama is chiming in, the way the scientists are performing right at the top of their level. They're asking all the hardest questions of themselves and everyone is willing to be vulnerable. The Buddhists are not taking advantage of the scientist's vulnerability. They're speaking right into it with their most precious thoughts and their own questions. You think, "This is research. This is research at the highest possible human level. This is what we're designed to do, not just think clever thoughts, but deep thoughts, large thoughts, and compassionate thoughts, to act compassionately, and be good to one another. And have fun while we're doing it."

I recall one such moment vividly. It was after two days of meetings in 2002, at the end of an afternoon session in Dharmasala. The Dalai Lama got up, thanked everybody, and left the room. I looked around. Everybody was standing, of course. They all looked at me and went, "Wow." The whole afternoon had lifted off. Everybody in the room felt so alive. You really felt that this is what we came to be and do, and it echoed for the whole evening.

Sometimes the sessions are a little more mundane. There's good quality material, things happen, but they expand to a certain point and then contract. But when you get two or three times like that in a meeting, you're really pleased. By the end, you feel that somehow or other a great wealth has been achieved where each person has brought his or her very best and contributed it, with great integrity, openness, and no dogma. Everybody is there to discover. We could all be wrong. We'll dare to say certain things normally not said. We're not pushing anything on the other. We offer our best with great open-mindedness, great hope, and affection.

As a moderator, what I've discovered is that, in order to create during a relatively short time a certain capacity for exchange and trust, I have to be willing, in the right measure and with the right words, to encourage people to dare to go further. They have to be willing, without prying or pushing beyond what's appropriate, to come back to the issue and to go further with it in the room. I ask people to go a little deeper, to be a little more open than they just were. You know in your mind, as a good moderator, who each of these people are. So you know the hidden cards they're not playing, the hidden things they long to say. But it's like standing guard over them. You honor their reticence, but you encourage them to go further. You have to open the door and say, "It's okay to say what I know you want to say, and it's okay for you to respond." I may know how the dialogue will go ahead of time, as the moderator. I could write it down for you. But I can't insert myself. What I can do is say to you, "Wouldn't you like to take what you said before a little further? I think that we could go further here and open up the question." And then I turn to the Dalai Lama, who may be reluctant, and say, "I know he's not going as far as he wants to go or could go. But, Your Holiness, we've just heard this and this. Couldn't the Buddhists say a little something more about this?" Then you can see him trying to decide whether he dares to do it or whether it'll be an affront or whether it'll be skillful means. Then, if you've judged correctly, he comes in. The others come back. And then you just feel that you've moved up another notch or two, and the whole room starts to become more dense and more alive. The field starts to become more energized.

So the moderator has to be constantly listening for opportunities to serve that other purpose, which is not my goal but the goal of the community. When it works and when you can then crystallize or summarize what has happened for people so that it all stays clear and lucid in front of them, then you are of service.

In terms of the group, the collective, and how to serve the collective, that's where I've had most of my experience. I've tried to play a positive role in the social groups I've been in. But I have not been a convener or an architect of those groups. The kinds of groups that I have been part of had an intellectual or a thematic agenda, like the Dalai Lama or the Mind & Life conferences, or there has been a project agenda, where I and others want to create a new institution or take on an important task.

I've been part of many Dalai Lama events. I'm on the board of directors and the scientific board of the Mind and Life Institute. Part of the genius of the events has been steadfastness over 18 years of history and faithfulness. It was near collapse two years ago. When Cisco [Francisco Varela] died, Adam Engle (the president) didn't see how to go forward. Through talking with many of his close friends, the right ideas and the courage came into the group, and he went on without Francisco, finding a slightly different way of proceeding. I think Cisco would be pleased. But it's taken on a different form. I think that ripeness was there. We've done it so many times and knew our roles so well. We had built up a trust.

The remarkable thing is the level of commitment his illness put into it. When we were Dharamsala in 2002, Cisco had already died, and His Holiness spoke about his loss.

Then he spoke about the work that we were doing and how it really wasn't about any of us. It wasn't that he didn't care for each individual, honor them, and love them in his own way. Still it wasn't a personal thing. The Dalai Lama wasn't meeting scientists merely out of personal curiosity. He was interested in many of the scientific discoveries we discussed, but before long, it was clear this was something that had larger significance, both for the Buddhist community and, I think he believes also, for the West. He doesn't want to say that, but I'll certainly say it.

So his level of commitment has increased over the years to the point where it is one of the three main focuses of what he's doing. He's working for an autonomous province in Tibet. He's teaching his monks. And he's meeting with science groups. He said to us that he will continue until he can't do it anymore, and then it should go on after him. It will go on differently after he dies, or after he's incapacitated, but he feels our explorations should go on.

So an earnestness and quality of commitment have grown into the whole movement and this has been a real blessing. The core group is pretty committed and quite diverse. They're not all Buddhists but we are committed to seeing the dialogue take place.

So it's a mystery. You can't program it. In that sense, it's not a causal mechanism. It's a way of being with each other. It's a way of opening the heart to another, being vulnerable and being open. Many of the people in our meetings have been colleagues or friends for 10 years or 15 years. Alan Wallace and I used to sit just like this in these chairs. For nearly four years, we sat and talked like this, every week. I knew at one point during those conversations that I would be with him and the Dalai Lama together. I never said anything about it. I just knew that somehow that was going to happen.

COS: When was that?

Arthur Zajonc: About 12 years ago.

COS: So you met with him every week?

Arthur Zajonc: Yeah, you could say he was my student. I mean, I was also his student. We're almost the same age. He'd done the equivalent of a full Ph.D., advanced studies in Tibetan Buddhism while a monk in India and Switzerland. I'd done my study and research over here. When we met we held our own Mind & Life dialogue for three and a half years.

And then we get to do it together with others. You know, there were times in some of my meetings when I thought that this is what spiritual science really is. I'm now in the midst of a spiritual, scientific research community. Every question can be asked. Every tool can be used, contemplative tools, external scientific tools, the latest things from all sides. It's all directed toward human betterment and compassionate action, reducing suffering and making this world a truly great place. And we're doing it with joy and celebrating each other's capacity. This is how we should be at every university. Our universities are so remarkable. We put so much of our resources into creating the place where students can come for four to eight, nine, ten years of study and research, and it's all for them. All those resources. Forget the disciplinary turf warfare! Do it this way, the way we did at MIT or in Dharamsala. It doesn't mean you have to agree with one another; just rejoice in the dialogue itself, and sometime it all comes together. Sometimes it happens.

Участник
    Традиция
    нет

Практика внимательности и медицина

Одним из известных и активно развиваемых направлений практического диалога науки и религий, в первую очередь восточных медитативных техник является исследование их влияния на повседневную жизнь западного человека, их полезности для физического и психического здоровья. Известно, что некоторые из этих техник основаны на универсальных психофизиологических закономерностях. Влияние одной из них, практики внимательности, изучается свыше 20 лет и в 2004 г. был опубликован мета-анализ научных исследований, проведенных за это время. Из 64 эмпирических исследований с опубликованными и неопубликованными результатами авторы мета-анализа отобрали 20:

P. Grossman, L. Niemann, S. Schmidt, H. Walach. Mindfulness-based stress reduction and health benefits. A meta-analysis// Journal of Psychosomatic Research, v. 57, N1, 2004, pp. 35-43.

http://www.psychosomatik-basel.ch/de...likationen.htm

Изучаются результаты, получаемые сразу после 6 – 12 недельного курса группового обучения (10 - 40 человек в группе) и практики, 2.5 часа в неделю групповых и 45 минут ежедневных самостоятельных занятий. Влияние регулярной практики на больших промежутках времени в этом мета-анализе не рассматривается. В исследованиях принимали участие как здоровые люди, которые хотели обучиться практике внимательности для того, чтобы лучше справляться со своими стрессами, так и люди, страдающие от различных хронических заболеваний, включая рак, а также заключенные. Всего 1605 человек.

Осредненный результат: 0.5. Половине помогает, половине – не очень.

Одним из ведущих исследователей этого направления является член совета Mind and Life institute, участник встреч Далай Ламы с учеными Mind and Life III, IX, а также предстоящей XIII конференции “The Science and Clinical Applications of Meditation”, учитель медитации, ученый, писатель J. Kabat-Zinn (PhD, Professor of Medicine emeritus at the University of Massachusetts Medical School), некоторые его книги переведены на многие языки мира:

http://www.mindfulnesstapes.com/index.html
    Последний раз редактировалось Yuriy; 10.07.2005 в 10:01.

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Отчет о встрече Далай Ламы с А. Цейлингером и А. Зэджонсом в лаборатории Цейлингера (Инсбрук, Австрия) «Эпистемологические вопросы в квантовой физике и восточных созерцательных науках» (1998) было опубликовано в Германии в январском номере 1999 журнала “Geo”

http://www.geo.de/GEO/service/hefte/...geode_shortcut

Кто-нибудь может помочь мне понять, доступна ли эта информация и о чем там шла речь более подробно?

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    The schedule for B. Alan Wallace's visit to Charlottesville, Virgina September 9th - 11th, 2005.

B. Alan Wallace, Ph.D. is an internationally known scholar, dynamic lecturer, leading American translator and on the forefront of Buddhism and Science research. He has been involved in the serious practice, study and translation of Buddhism for 35 years. He is one of the two primary translators to H.H. Dalai Lama for the Mind and Science conferences and research projects. His extensive books on Buddhism are helpful to people of the Vipassana and Zen traditions in addition to those of the 5 schools of Tibetan Buddhism.

This is an exciting opportunity to learn more about the Buddhist tradition, as well as practitioners of the various traditions of Buddhism to learn more and practice in depth together. A registration form for the retreat and other activities is available on the Jefferson Tibetan Society website at: www.avenue.org/jts.

THE SCHEDULE:
    FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 9th, 2005 --4:30p.m. to 6:00 p.m. --RECEPTION for B. Alan Wallace, Ph.D. He will present on the 4 Buddhism and Science research projects he is currently involved with, including the SHAMATHA project and Cultivating Emotional Balance research. There will be delicious food provided at the reception. Advance tickets are required. The tickets are $35.
    FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 9th, 2005--7:00 p.m. PUBLIC TALK: THE WAY OF PEACE
    IN A WORLD OF VIOLENCE: A BUDDHIST PERSPECTIVE; $10.
    SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 10th-SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 11th, 2005 -- 2 DAY
    Shamatha MEDITATION RETREAT: Soothing the Body, Settling the Mind and Illuminating
    Awareness ($195. fee for the 2 days, includes the retreat, 2 meals Sat. and 1 meal Sun., if postmarked by August 10th) Saturday teaching and practice sessions will go from 9a.m. to noon,
    2pm. to 5p.m. and 7p.m. to 9 p.m., with meal breaks. The Sunday schedule will go from approximately 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The retreat will be located at a very comfortable location in Charlottesville at the JABA (Jefferson Area Board of Aging) Building, where meals will be eaten on site. There are overnight accomodations available next door at the Courtyard Marriott for out of town participants. Participants are responsible for arranging their own accomodations. Please check our website for more information on special rates at the Marriott, as well as other accomodations available in the area.

DESCRIPTION of the RETREAT: During this retreat, detailed instruction will be given and there will be extensive meditation practice in the range of methods for developing meditative quiescence or shamatha. We will begin with the practice of mindfulness of the breathing as taught by the Buddha, which is an especially effective approach to soothing the body and calming the discursive mind. We will then explore an approach to shamatha that is particularly
    pertinent for Dzogchen practice, called "settling the mind in its natural state", as taught by the 19th century Dzogchen master Lerab Lingpa in the commentary to the "Heart Essence of Vimalamitra". Finally, we will engage in the practice of "shamatha without signs" as taught by Padmasambhava in his classic terma Natural Liberation. Although this subtle practice is taught explicityly as a means of achieving shamatha, Padmasambhava comments that it may even result in a realization of rigpa.

The achievement of shamatha is widely regarded in the Buddhist tradition as an indispensable foundation for the cultivation of contemplative insight (vipassana) and this retreat is designed to provide students with a sufficient theoretical understanding and a basis in experience to enable them to proceed effectively toward this extraordinary state of mental and physical balance. In this retreat, we will focus on methods for healing the body, speech and mind during the 3 phases of meditation: soothing the body, settling the mind and illuminating awareness, corresponding to lucid sleeping, dreaming and dying, respectively. Each phase of the meditation will entail a deepening sense of letting go. First, we will release the awareness into the rhythm of the breath and the field of tactile sensations throughout the body. Then, we will release the awareness into the field of mental events. And, finally we will release the awareness into its own nature. Each day, Alan Wallace will divide the time in about even segments between giving detailed instruction, extensive silent meditation and discussion.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING THESE ACTIVITIES, a REGISTRATION FORM is available on theJefferson Tibetan Society website at: www.avenue.org/jts. If you are planning to attend any of the activities, it would be especially helfpul if you send in your registration form and fees as soon as possible, to help us in the preparations for these exciting events. If you have additional questions, e-mail Sandy Newhouse at jts108va@aol.com or call George or Sandy at (434) 980-1752.

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    О работах B.A.Wallace, в которых он помещает природу ума в перспективу физики вакуума см.

http://board.buddhist.ru/showthread.php?t=5324

http://board.buddhist.ru/showthread....4&page=2&pp=15

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Eleonor Rosch, Professor Dept. of Psychology, University of California - участница Mind and Life I (1987).

В рамках проекта “Dialog on Leadership” журналист Otto Scharmer взял у Eleonor Rosch интервью «Primary Knowing: When Perception Happens from the Whole Field» (15 октября 1999). В рамках этого же проекта он брал интервью у Francisco Varela (1946 – 2001), одного из основателей и активнейших участников встреч Далай Ламы с учеными, а также у A. Zajonc (см. выше сообщение 121).

Eleonor Rosch познакомилась с теорией и практикой Тибетского буддизма в конце 70-х, в 1999 г. она продолжала регулярную практику под руководством учителя, который совмещал буддийские и даосские методы.

Участие в Mind and Life I в интервью не упоминается.

В 1991 г. E. Rosch опубликовала вместе с F. Varela книгу:

Varela F.J., Thompson E., Rosch E. The embodied mind:cognitive science and human experience. Cambridge: MIT Press. 1991.

После этого они, по-видимому, не сотрудничали:

«Otto Scharmer: … You wrote the book together …
    Eleanor Rosch: Right, but also, of course, that was a long time ago. …and I haven't seen Francisco [Varela] lately».

http://www.dialogonleadership.org/interviewRosch.html

P.S. Урааа! У меня снова ноль! Я перестал намеренно искажать буддизм в своих интересах...

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Анализ литературы по теме «Religion, Spirituality, Healing and Health».

Недавние исследования взаимоотношений религии, духовности и здоровья показывают, что между этими областями есть существенная связь. Однако остается много теоретических и эмпирических вопросов, которые необходимо исследовать с надлежащей методологической и научной строгостью.

В кросс-конфессиональные обзоры включены работы по буддийским техникам медитации (дзэн, внимательности), выполненные в том числе и участниками Mind and Life conferences: J. Kabat-Zinn и др. О мета-анализе научных исследований влияния практики внимательности на состояние больных, страдающих хроническими недугами, см. выше сообщение 122.

David J. Hufford, Ph.D. (Penn State College of Medicine) AN ANALYSIS OF THE FIELD OF SPIRITUALITY, RELIGION AND HEALTH (SR/H). 72 pages.

OUTLINE
    LEXICAL PROLOGUE
    ASSIGNMENT
    METHOD OF THIS REVIEW
    BACKGROUND
    CRITICISMS AND RESISTANCE
    PROBLEMS AND NEEDS IN SPIRITUALITY, RELIGION AND HEALTH
    RESEARCH
    Scope & Boundaries of the Field
    Scholarship
    Language
    S/RH and Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
    Dramatic S/R Experiences and Health
    Minority Religions Including Roman Catholicism, The “Spiritual But Not Religious,” And “Folk Religions”
    Description
    Assessment Of S/R In Health Settings
    Personnel: Who Should Provide Attention To S/R In Health Settings?
    Informatics
    STRENGTHS OF THE FIELD OF SPIRITUALITY AND HEALTH RESEARCH
    Publication Trends
    Physical Health and S/R Associations Are Supported by Improved Study Design and Evaluation
    Mental Health & S/R
    Coping
    Instrument Development (Within Christianity)

http://www.metanexus.net/tarp/pdf/TARP-Hufford.pdf

Andrew B. Newberg. (Department of Radiology and Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania) Field Analysis of the Neuroscientific Study of Religious and Spiritual Phenomena. 18 pages.

Introduction
    1. Measurement and Definition of Spirituality and Religiousness.
    2. Subject Selection and Comparison Group.
    3. Study Design and Biostatistical Analysis.
    4. Theological and Epistemological Implications.
    Conclusion

http://www.metanexus.net/tarp/pdf/TARP-Newberg.pdf

Richard P. Sloan, Ph.D. (Columbia University). FIELD ANALYSIS OF THE LITERATURE ON RELIGION, SPIRITUALITY, AND HEALTH. 13 pages.

INTRODUCTION
    CURRENT PROBLEMS IN THE FIELD
    THE AIMS OF RESEARCH ON RELIGION AND HEALTH
    WHAT TO DO? WHAT NOT TO DO?
    CONCLUSIONS

http://www.metanexus.net/tarp/pdf/TARP-Sloan.pdf
    Последний раз редактировалось Yuriy; 22.07.2005 в 13:26.

Участник
    Традиция
    нет

Под влиянием опыта в мозге могут появляться новые нейроны.

Buddhism & science for a healthy mind.
    By Geetinder Garewal. Science&Theology News, December 1, 2004.

Dharamsala, India —Neuroscience and Buddhism overlap and can mutually benefit from collaborative research, said the presenters of the 12th annual conference of the Mind and Life Institute. Buddhism and science are the world’s most powerful traditions for exploring reality and the mind, said the organizers.

While science observes the mind from the outside, Buddhism uses the human mind, refined through meditative mental training, as its primary instrument of investigation to study the nature of mind itself.

Neuroplasticity, the theme of the conference, deals with structural and functional changes in the brain that are brought about by training and experience. “This theme is a building block toward our larger goal of promoting the scientific understand of how to create and maintain a healthy mind,” said R. Adam Engle, the chairman and a co-founder of the Mind and Life Institute.

The whole conference hinged on the idea that neurogenesis, or the birth of new neurons in the brain, can be influenced by experience.

A presentation on structural plasticity by Fred H. Gage, Adler Professor of Genetics at the Salk Institute in California, brought out that the brain is not static but rather is dynamically changing throughout life.

The finding that every day experiences like stress, exercise, enriched environment and other factors all influence neurogenesis, and thereby bring changes in our brain, has far reaching implications according to the presenters in the five-day conference.

Though this is a fairly recent scientific insight, it is nothing new to Buddhist science and this knowledge set the tone for the dialogue.

At the molecular level, neuroplasticity was discussed by Michael J. Meaney in a presentation on the influence of parental care on how people develop different stress responses.

“Parental care effects the activity of genes in the brain by modifying the chemical environment in the cell, and thereby regulating our responses to stress and setting a pattern for life,” said Meaney, the James McGill Professor of Medicine at Douglas Hospital Research Centre of McGill University in Canada.

Helen J. Neville, the director of the Center for Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Oregon, Eugene, took this nature-nurture debate further with a comprehensive look into localized brain function areas. She demonstrated how sensory, perceptual and language functions are modified by experience.

The Dalai Lama’s humor was frequently at the fore; when Neville emphasized how the left frontal area of the brain was crucial for language and positive emotions, the Dalai Lama quipped, “I am a leftist!”

Neville promptly replied, “That’s why I’m here!” at which audience members laughed, with the Dalai Lama’s child-like gurgling laughter prodding them on.

A presentation on attachment security by Philip R. Shaver, chair of the psychology department of the University of California, Davis, showed how bolstering of feelings of security, even in adults, increased tolerance, compassion and altruism.

On the final day, Buddhism and science actively collaborated in Richard J. Davidson’s study in which Buddhist monks’ brain activity during meditation was studied in laboratory conditions using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. (See sidebar.) Davidson is the Vilas Research Professor and William James Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
    “The quality of scientific presentations, perspicacity of the participants, depth of his Holiness’s questions and the interaction made it obvious that it was more than a teaching in science,” said Matthieu Ricard, a Buddhist monk and genetic scientist.

“[The Dalai Lama] would introduce new perspectives for the scientists, bring in ethical dimensions, and sometimes his insights would inspire them to rethink their positions,” Ricard continued.

According to the Mind and Life Institute’s Engle, “Everyone came away from the meeting with a deeper understanding of some fundamental principles of neuroplasticity and at least a working hypothesis that some forms of meditation might be quite beneficial.”

“I think there is also a conviction that research needs to be done in this area,” he added.

Despite the diametric opposition that scientists and theologians assume in daily life, the Dalai Lama’s humor, gentle manner and larger-than-life presence set the tone for the five-day conference.

His deep belly-laughs regularly dissipated the somber intellectual presentations, keeping the atmosphere buoyant and enabling diverse minds to push the normal boundaries of their cognitive capacities.

The Mind and Life Institute has organized meetings between small groups of scientists and the Dalai Lama since 1987. The next annual conference is Sept. 29 – Oct. 2 in Washington, DC, on the scientific and clinical applications of meditation.

Geetinder Garewal is a freelance writer living in Chandigarh, India.

http://www.stnews.org/articles.php?a...&category=News

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Еще одним направлением диалога науки и буддизма являются осознаваемые сновидения (lucid dreaming), которым было уделено много внимания на Mind and Life IV (1992). По просьбе участников конференции Далай Лама рассказал о Dream Yoga.

(Глава из “Sleeping, dreaming, and dying”, материалы Mind and Life IV, посвященная научным иследованиям осознаваемых снов, размещена в файле, прикрепленном к сообщению 114 в этой теме.)

Одним из крупнейших специалистов в мире по изучению осознаваемых сновидений является Stephen LaBerge (http://www.lucidity.com/). Эта область исследований была открыта для западной науки в середине 70-х годов. Одновременно исследователи из Англии K. Hearn, A. Worseley и S.LaBerge из Стэнфорда предложили провести один и тот же эксперимент. Известно, что сновидения сопровождаются быстрыми движениями глаз. Они предложили сновидцу в осознаваемом сне сознательно подвигать глазами. Ожидалось, что эти движения глаз в сновидении будут сопровождаться движениями физических глаз, которые можно объективно зафиксировать. Что и было сделано.

На Mind and Life IV Его Святейшеству был вручен подарок S. LaBerge’a: прибор, который помогает сократить освоение осознаваемых сновидений с нескольких лет (традиционные методы) до нескольких недель.

В 2005 г. B.A.Wallace и S. LaBerge сотрудничают в области практики осознаваемого сна. Так, из 19 online-анонсированных ретритов B.A.Wallace’a 7 посвящены теме “Lucid Dreaming and Dream Yoga ”, два последних - совместно с S. LaBerge’ем
    http://www.alanwallace.org/itinerary.html

Из интервью B.A.Wallace’a Science&Theology News
    http://www.stnews.org/articles.php?a...&category=News

STN: Buddhism talks of subtle levels of consciousness, which modern science has not encountered yet, how are these states experienced?

BAW: The Dalai Lama spoke of the methods of exploring consciousness from the first-person perspective. This is done by first achieving the ability of lucid dreaming. This entails apprehending the dream-state as a dream, while you are aware that you are dreaming. You deliberately let the dream vanish without losing your lucidity or your knowledge of what is happening. You watch the whole dream state vanishing and what is left is the possibility of realizing the clear light of sleep. And then you come upon the naked nature of awareness without the aggregation or addition of language, physical sensation and mental concepts.

Последний раз редактировалось Yuriy; 29.07.2005 в 10:52.

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Коллективное выступление ученых против участия Далай Ламы в ежегодной конференции Society for neuroscience (SfN). Среди подписантов очень много ученых китайского происхождения и поэтому их коллеги из других стран мира рассматривают его как скорее политически, чем научно мотивированное.

Dear Colleague,

While fully supporting the initiative to promote interaction between
    neuroscientists and the public, we are very concerned that the SfN has
    invited a prominent religious leader, the Dalai Lama, to lecture on
    "Neuroscience & Meditation", a topic with unsubstantiated scientific
    claims. It is worth noting that Dalai Lama's legitimacy relies on
    reincarnation, a religious doctrine against the very foundation of modern
    neuroscience. We invite you to visit our petition site where we outline
    compelling reasons to dispute SfN's decision. If you share the same
    concerns with us, you can sign the letter at
    http://www.petitiononline.com/sfn2005/petition.html

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    На коллективный протест откликнулись Nature и Guardian
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...l/436452b.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/scien...536643,00.html

Guardian, 27 july 2005: Their petition reads: "Inviting the Dalai Lama to lecture on neuroscience of meditation is of poor scientific taste because it will highlight a subject with hyperbolic claims, limited research and compromised scientific rigour."

It compares the lecture to inviting the Pope to talk about "the relationship between the fear of God and the amygdala [part of the brain]" and adds "it could be a slippery road if neuroscientists begin to blur the border between science and religious practices".

Carol Barnes, the president of the Society for Neuroscience, said: "The Dalai Lama has had a long interest in science and has maintained an ongoing dialogue with leading neuroscientists for more than 15 years, which is the reason he was invited to speak at the meeting. It has been agreed that the talk will not be about religion or politics.

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    Редакционная статья в Nature, посвященная выступлению Далай Ламы на ежегодной конференции Society for Neoruscience Nature, Vol 436, no. 7053, 18 August 2005

Science and religion in harmony

A spiritual leader with an interest in research has encountered opposition to his plans to speak at a scientific meeting. But he is perfectly entitled to do so.

The Dalai Lama is due to speak at the annual Society for Neuroscience meeting in Washington DC on 12 November, and some neuroscientists don’t like it (see Nature 436, 452; 2005). But the Buddhist leader’s talk is part of a lecture series that the society is laudably conducting on the science and society — and it
    should go ahead as planned.

The invitation of the Dalai Lama to the meeting will be interpreted in some quarters as an insult to his nemesis, China. And, citing the oft-repeated refrain that science and religion should be kept separate, some neuroscientists are calling for the lecture to be cancelled.

The critics accuse the Dalai Lama of trying to use the meeting to sell science that they regard as substandard: research on the relationship between meditation and physiological changes in the brain. Even the researchers directly involved in these studies, many of whom are working with the encouragement and support of the Dalai Lama, say that the work is in its early stages.

But the society did not invite the Dalai Lama to speak as a scientist. He will be in Washington to kick off its lecture series on “Dialogues between Neuroscience and Society”, in which non-scientists are expected to address “subjects of interest to neuroscientists”. The second such lecture will be given by Frank Gehry, the architect who designed the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain.

Since Nature first reported on this story three weeks ago, several neuroscientists have written to us criticizing efforts to stop the lecture (see page 912, for example). It seems reasonable to assume that a fair number of the 30,000 delegates expected to attend one of the world’s largest scientific meetings will be interested to hear what
    the Dalai Lama has to say.

The Dalai Lama will not be a complete outsider at the meeting. Through the Colorado-based Mind & Life Institute, he has already interacted with many reputable neuroscientists. According to the society, he was invited, in part, because “he has already had an influence on the design of experiments of great interest to neuroscientists”. As even one opponent of the talk admits: “He has views on controlling negative emotions, which is a legitimate area for neuroscience research in the future.” But his lecture does not necessarily
    constitute an endorsement of his views by the society.

Critics counter that the talk threatens to “entangle the Society for Neuroscience with religious activities”. The invitation for the Dalai Lama to speak will give him a chance to sell his religious beliefs in the guise of neuroscience, they claim. Their petition opposing the lecture even draws comparisons between the Dalai Lama, with his belief in reincarnation, and creationists.

But speakers at meetings — non-scientists or scientists — should not be barred on the basis of their religious beliefs. Well-known scientists including Newton have had religious beliefs that many people would disagree with, but these have no bearing on the credibility of their scientific ideas.

Furthermore, in stark contrast with the approach of most religious leaders, the Dalai Lama has tried for many years to encourage empirical research into the claims he makes for the value of meditation. He encourages monks to take part in such experiments. Resulting studies have appeared in respectable scientific journals.

It is true that the invitation could be interpreted as an insult to China. But the manner in which it was issued — by a scientist who was attending a meeting on neuroplasticity at the Dalai Lama’s home in India — implies that the neuroscience society harbours no such intent.

It is not unreasonable for the researchers who object to the invitation to protest against it, and to seek to draw attention to the limitations of the Dalai Lama’s credentials as a speaker. But now that the point has been made, they should withdraw their threatened boycott of the meeting, and instead raise their issues in the open forum that
    will follow his talk.

Участник
    Традиция
    нет
    В сентябрьском номере буддийского журнала “Shambhala Sun” вышла статья “Two sciences of mind” главного редактора журнала Barry Boyce, в которой он рассказал об истории и деятельности Mind and Life institute по развитию диалога науки и буддизма, о встречах Далай Ламы с учеными. Популярно описаны исследования и идеи F. Varela, R. Davidson, D. Goleman, P. Ekman, J. Kabat-Zinn, A. Zajonc, E. Lander, and B. Alan Wallace

Одна из ключевых инициатив в движении ученых к буддизму в конце 70-х годов была проявлена двумя буддистами и специалистами по когнитивным наукам Francisco Varela и Eleanor Rosch (о ее интервью см. выше).

Позже, вплоть до своей смерти в 2001 г. F.Varela стал одним из организаторов встреч Далай Ламы с учеными, проводившихся в рамках Mind and Life institute. E.Rosch заняла критическую позицию по отношению к диалогу буддизма и науки.

http://www.mindandlife.org/two.sciences.of.mind.pdf

Статья заканчивается предложением идеального исследования влияния медитации на все стороны жизни человека: надо пригласить 4000 молодых людей, готовых посвятить свою жизнь медитации, и на протяжении нескольких десятков лет наблюдать за ними с помощью самых современных научных методов.

Участник
    Традиция
    нет

Статья в Nature. Далай Лама будет выступать на конгрессе SfN

Nature. Published online: 24 August 2005
    Dalai Lama gets go-ahead for meditation lecture
    Neuroscientists will hear Buddhist leader speak.

David Cyranoski
    The Dalai Lama will speak at this year's annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience (SfN) despite a petition calling for the lecture to be cancelled.

Campaigners had collected more than 500 signatures in protest against the talk, which they presented to the society's president, Carol Barnes, on 15 August.

The Dalai Lama had been invited to speak at November's meeting in Washington on the effects of meditation on the brain. But some neuroscientists said that a talk by the Buddhist leader was inappropriate at an academic meeting (see Nature436, 452; 2005). Others accused the Dalai Lama of spreading religious ideas under the guise of scientific research into meditation.

Four days after meeting the protesters, Barnes notified one of the petition's organizers, Bai Lu, a neuroscientist at the US National Institutes of Health, that the lecture would go ahead as planned.

The talk will be the first in a new series of lectures called "dialogues between neuroscience and society". Joe Carey, public information director for the SfN, says that the society's leadership "continues to believe that the original plan and purpose of the dialogues series makes sense, and that the first two invited speakers are consistent with the intent". The Dalai Lama's talk will be followed by one from architect Frank Gehry at the society's 2006 meeting in New Orleans.

Six abstracts for this year's meeting have been withdrawn by one SfN member in protest against the lecture. But since the controversy became public, the society says that it has received a lot of e-mails on the issue, nearly all of them in favour of the talk.
    The president's decision, says Carey, will be the society's final word on the issue.

Участник
    Традиция
    нет

Статья в Nature. Religion and Science: Buddhism on the brain

Nature. Published online: 24 August 2005
    Religion and Science: Buddhism on the brain

Many religious leaders find themselves at odds with science, but the head of Tibetan Buddhism is a notable exception. Jonathan Knight meets a neurologist whose audience with the Dalai Lama helped to explain why.

Jonathan Knight
    One of the first things people discover when they meet His Holiness the Dalai Lama is that the head of Tibetan Buddhism likes a good laugh. "He jokes all the time," says Fred Gage, a neuroscientist at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, California, who met the spiritual leader for the first time in October. "He has a great sense of humour."

This is probably a good thing. The occasion for this meeting - a research conference held at the Dalai Lama's headquarters in Dharamsala, India - included a presentation of evidence that people in good spirits are better able to control their blood sugar levels. Other talks suggested that meditation can transform emotions and that daily experiences can alter the expression of genes. Gage presented his research into how the brain can remake itself throughout life.

It was the 12th time since 1987 that the Dalai Lama has convened leading psychologists and neurobiologists to hear the latest scientific thinking in fields related to the human mind. These meetings are organized by the Mind & Life Institute in Louisville, Colorado, which was established in the 1980s to promote communication between science and Buddhism. But much of the credit for this open communication goes to the Dalai Lama himself.

Spiritual links

In accordance with Tibetan tradition, the current Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, was recognized as the 14th reincarnation of the Bodhisattva of Compassion in 1937, when he was only two years old. Gyatso has long had an interest in science. When he accepted the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989, he commented: "Both science and the teachings of the Buddha tell us of the fundamental unity of all things." He once said that if he had not been a monk, he would have been an engineer.

Enthusiasm for science seems to extend beyond the spiritual leader. Tibetans, surprisingly enough, were the most strongly represented ethnic group working on the Human Genome Project: although they account for only 0.1% of the world's population, Tibetans made up about 10% of the project's workforce (see Nature 425, 335; 2003).

For many Buddhist monks, this interest in science is focused on an intense curiosity about the workings of the brain. Monks typically spend hours in meditation each day, a practice they say enhances their powers of concentration. Highly trained monks report being able to focus on a single object for hours without distraction and to recall complex scenes in exquisite detail. A question that deeply interests the Dalai Lama, and indeed some neuroscientists, is whether these phenomena have a biological basis.

Gage studies the ability of the mammalian brain to change and adapt in adulthood. Before the late 1990s, it was thought that adult brains were more-or-less complete. Learning involved the development of new connections - but no new neurons were born, and when these cells died they were gone forever. Now it turns out that new neurons do grow and our brains are much more flexible than was once believed. As a key component of Buddhist belief is that meditation literally transforms the mind, Buddhists are keenly interested in scientific advances that could help explain this observation.

Gage's talk on 18 October in Dharamsala - seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile since 1960 - kicked off a five-day private conference on 'neuroplasticity'. Gage gave a general primer on the complexity of the nervous system, and then launched into a two-hour presentation of his research targeted at a lay audience. Next to him, the Dalai Lama listened intently, making occasional use of two interpreters to translate into Tibetan things he didn't immediately grasp in English. Also in the audience were the six other presenters and a handful of Buddhist monks.

Lessons learned

Although the group did not come to any Earth-shattering conclusions about cognition, they did reach a higher understanding of each other, which was the main point of the exercise. For the monks, the sessions may help them deal with modern questions not addressed in traditional Buddhist teachings, such as the issue of the morality of stem-cell research (see Religion and science: Studies of faith). Scientists in turn have plenty to learn from the monks - after centuries of inner contemplation, Buddhists claim to know a thing or two about how the mind behaves.

Richard Davidson, a psychologist at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and the coordinator of the Dharamsala conference, has learned from the monks through study. He found that certain neural processes in the brain are more coordinated in people with extensive training in meditation, an observation that may be linked to the heightened awareness reported by meditating monks (A. Lutz et al. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101, 16369?16373; 2004).

Gage says that what particularly impressed him was the Dalai Lama's empirical approach. "At one point I asked: 'What if neuroscience comes up with information that directly contradicts Buddhist philosophy?'," says Gage. "The answer was: 'Then we would have to change the philosophy to match the science'."

So far that hasn't been necessary. And if the reported benefits of laughter are correct, there is no need for the Dalai Lama to rein in his sense of humour either. During a discussion of how our childhoods shape who we are, he observed that he liked to play with toy guns as a child and even picked on his brother. "I was the mean one," he said, thereby stabilizing blood sugar levels throughout the room.

Информация о теме

Участники, просматривающие эту тему

Эту тему просматривают: 1 (участников: 0 , гостей: 1)

Ваши права